Tuesday 29 October 2019

That 4 letter word called "Work"

Hey, what, huh!?  Work??  What has work got to do with our travels and living on the road?  Well, there is this thing called money ..... And the little luxuries that extra money buys ..... which also keeps our retirement nest egg safe and sound.

In April, when we sold the house and decided to live our dream after I lost my full-time job, we knew that we were starting this journey as full-time travellers a little earlier than planned.  For that very reason, we decided to keep our work options open.

I figured as an accountant I certainly had transferrable skills - skills that I could easily use in any environment, even while on the road, moving from place to place.  All that was really needed was a good laptop, cellphone and reliable internet service - all of which I had.

As something different, I could always do something else. like seasonal work or campground hosting.  Variety is good!

But for now, I have been relying on my accounting skills and have picked up remote contract accounting jobs.  Which does explain why we have been doing longer than normal stays at campgrounds and going nowhere fast.

It has certainly been an interesting 6 months.  The remote contract work is great as it means I have control over my working conditions.  I can start and end my day as I chose.  And best of all, I have had the most beautiful offices to work from - such as this view:


At the moment, I have put the remote work on a temporary hold and we have spent the last few weeks in Auckland so I can to do onsite work at a firm in Kumeu.

Time is coming soon to get back on the road for summer and do some travelling.  I probably will still be working as we go (for that treat of an overseas trip) but with the promise of summer coming soon, hopefully I can cut down on my hours and get outdoors and enjoy summer living.

One thing for sure is that working on the road is not a 9 - 5 jobs -it gives us total freedom to choose how we want to work.  If less money is needed, we can choose cheaper campgrounds, do some house-sitting along the way or line up better-paying jobs that are less time-consuming ..... or ..... just stop working when it suits us.

But for now, those little luxuries in life will keep me working anyway - smarter hopefully as our time on the road evolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment